Monday, March 2, 2009

Sunday afternoon in the kitchen

Other than knitting, I had a very productive weekend... we looked at a few potential homes with land. It is our goal to become more self sufficient. I want to grow more of our own food and have my girls back- aka hens. These are the ones Jay got me for mothers day 4 yrs ago. I had 9 in all, but hope to have at least 2 dozen next time 'round.

So anyway, I made butter-from scratch (I know, can you believe it?) this weekend. I was totally inspired by this. All it took was heavy cream, salt and a little elbow grease.... and look at what I got. We had it on homemade bread last night and it is so very yummy.
I forgot to mention you get raw buttermilk out of this too. I intend to use it for the whoopie pies I make later this week.
I'll talk more about the bread later, I have to get my youngest pumpkin ready for school. We are celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday today and I'm bringing cupcakes. ♥ Marissa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Marissa that is awesome! I love the Hens too.. I would love to have them. We too are looking for land to build a log cabin home. I love baking and trying new things...But I am a lousy cook.

E Craft Classes said...

Hi Marissa! Love your blog. I'm glad to see you have more hens. I remember when you had to give the others away when you moved from Texas.

Barefoot Primitives said...

Oh wow! I'm so impressed sweetie!
And love seeing your chickens again too!! ;o)